Monday, January 10, 2011

Some Winter Decorating

I really wanted to decorate for Valentine's Day, but I decided to do a little Winter for a couple weeks.  I realized that my table needed nice, pretty placemats.  I only have yellow and red that aren't holiday ones.  So neither of those colors worked for Winter.  I decided that since I have a black table, white placemats would look crisp and go with the rest of the decor for winter.  And luckily, my mom had thrifted some of her fabric stash to me and one of those was white canvas.  I'll probably regret having white placemats, but hey, I can bleach them and if they get stained, I didn't lose any money since it was free fabric.

I used 2 pieces of 19"x13" (finished size was 18"x12" since my seam allowance was 1/4 inch).  Then turned them right side out and ironed them.  And I topstitched 3 rows around the outside edge.  I love how they turned out.  The are kindof plain, but I may try to embelish them later.

I also had this hurricane vase on the table for Christmas with green, red, white, and silver little ornaments and bells.  So I took out the red and green and that left me with a wintry mix.
My mom also gave me a couple packages of these giant foam snowflakes (I've seen similar ones if not these same ones at the dollar store if anyone wanted to know where to find them).  So I took a needle and thread and stitched them to the edge of the curtain.  I have 5 hanging in the window in the dining room.  No matter how many times of day or how many angles I used, I couldn't get a great shot of them.  They look way cooler in person.  I also hung some from the corners of mirrors and the mantle.

And lastly, I dug through my plate stash and found a powder blue one that was perfect for winter.  I cut out the words and snowflakes on my cricut and adhered the vinyl to the plate.

3 comments:

  1. Your kitchen table looks so elegant! I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice placemats and I love how you attached the snowflakes to your curtains, bet they look cute from outside!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job girlie! Nice neat topstitching on the placemats. I love the white, silver, and light blue color scheme. Very wintery. Good use of the snowflakes too. I love that if I give you something you can usually come up with a great use for it, you crafty little thing. :)

    ReplyDelete