Sunday, June 28, 2009

Recycled T-shirt --> toddler pants/capris

I like the idea of turning t-shirts into other clothes . . .
I've done this once before where I took a t-shirt and cut it up to make a ruffled cardigan/short jacket for my niece. It was hard to do since it was for a kid, but I think the task would be easier on adult sized clothes. Here's my finished jacket and here's the link to the tutorial from CraftStylish. It's hard to get the idea from my pic, so check out the link to see a better picture from CraftStylish!

Toddler pants:

I got this idea from Ashley on Lil Blue Boo's blog and fell in love with it. The full length pants would work for my son, but I love the idea of the cropped length for goucho pants for a little girl. The t-shirt I used was from the teenager's Junior size, so I was limited by length to make full length pants for my son (I made the 6-12 month size). So this will one day be for a daughter I may have.

I don't know if my son is built different than most, but once I was done, the pants were quite low-rise on him - or he just had a very full diaper and that was making the pants lower than were meant to be :) So when I make these again, I will probably add an inch or so to the top measurement to make sure my son doesn't dress immodestly :)

The shirt had a "Hershey's" logo on it, so I cut that off the shirt and applique'd that to the leg.


Luckily, I have a full box of t-shirts I had in HS or college that would be great for an idea like this - Slinky, Sesame Street, Strawberry Shortcake, My Little Pony, and several others. And I just may steal my husband's Transformer shirt to make my son something soon - but he still wears that shirt. . . I wonder how long it will take him to realize it's missing and my son has something that looks like the same shirt :)

Next, I'm going to try the skirt that Ashley has a post on as well . . .

1 comment:

  1. When my baby was firt born she was too small for all the clothes we had for her so I had to make her some pants and I made them out of old t-shirts as well. Such soft material. I just posted a tutorial for a skirt from a t-shirt. Come on over and check it out.

    ReplyDelete